Go To Search
Click to Home
Places for Eating Tax
On June 17, 2013, the Village Board approved a Places for Eating Tax. This is a mechanism provided by the State of Illinois that has been utilized by municipalities throughout the Chicagoland area to generate revenue for community programs, services and infrastructure improvements.  In November of 2014, the Village Board approved an update to the Places for Eating Tax to provide clarification to various aspects of the ordinance.

In the Village of Westmont, the Place for Eating Tax was one of the primary revenue sources used to secure bonds that allowed the Village to move forward with the most extensive street resurfacing program in the history of Westmont.

Questions regarding this item and other budgetary matters should be forwarded to Spencer Parker at .

Places for Eating Tax - Related Documents

Places for Eating Tax - Frequently Asked Questions

How much is the Tax?
  • The tax is 1.5% of gross receipts on food sold at retail for immediate consumption. For example, on a $100 meal, the tax would be $1.50.

Who pays the tax?
  • It works just like the state sales tax. Technically it is a tax on the owner, but in almost all cases the business passes the tax on to the customer.

Which businesses must comply with the Place for Eating Tax? 
  • The Places For Eating Tax applies to ALL businesses that:
    ) serve food and/or beverage, AND
     have a dining area in which customers are intended to consume their food and/or beverage purchase

Does the tax apply to businesses that sell beverages only and/or alcohol?
  • If a business has a dining area for customers, then the answer is YES, this tax applies to businesses that serve beverages, and YES, that does include alcohol.

Does this tax apply to businesses that sell pre-packaged foods such as chips, cookies, etc.?
  • Once again, if a business has a dining area for customers, then the answer is YES. This tax applies to businesses that sell food to customers.  This includes prepackaged foods such as chips, cookies, etc. HOWEVER, this tax does not apply to vending machines, nor does it apply to “qualifying food” which is subject to the lower state sales tax rate.

When did the Places for Eating Tax become effective? 
  • The Places for Eating Tax began September 1, 2013.

When should the tax be remitted to the Village?

  • Tax payments to the Village should be remitted no later than the last day of the following month. For example, the return for January is due the last day of February. The return for February is due the last day of March.
  • However, if the entity submits state sales tax less frequently than monthly (such as quarterly), the entity may submit to the Village on the same schedule.

How much does the business keep as a commission?
  • If the business files in a timely manner, they are able to keep 1% of the tax as a commission. For example, if a business has sold $10,000 in a month, they would collect $150 from their customers on this tax. They would keep 1% of this amount, which is $1.50 as commission and remit the remaining $148.50 to the Village.

What is a Place for Eating?
  • All premises where food is sold at retail, For immediate consumption on the premises, with seating provided.
  • Includes but not limited to places typically called Restaurants, Eating place, Drive-in restaurant, Buffet, Bakery, Banquet facility, Cafeteria, Cafe, Lunch counter, Fast food outlet, Catering service, Coffee shop, Diner, Sandwich shop, Soda fountain, Bar, Cocktail lounge, Soft drink parlor, Ice cream parlor, Tea room, Delicatessen, Hotel, Motel, Club, or Any other establishment which sells at retail prepared food for immediate consumption.

Are tips/gratuities taxed?
  • No, tips and gratuities are not included in gross receipts and are not taxed.

Are drinks taxed?
  • Yes, gross receipts on any liquid (including both alcoholic and nonalcoholic) used or intended immediate consumption are subject to the tax.

Are places that sell food, but also sell other things taxed?
  • Yes, if the location sells food for immediate consumption on the premises, they are taxed on the gross receipts of food to be consumed on the premises, regardless of whether or not they conduct any other business there.

Is food purchased through drive throughs, “to go”, or takeout subject to the tax?
  • Yes, regardless of whether or not the food is actually consumed on the premises, so long as it is sold so that it could be consumed on the premises, the gross receipts of the food is subject to the tax.

Is catering taxed?
  • If catering is done from a place for eating, the food and drink is taxed. If catering is done from a location that is not a place for eating, then it is not taxed.

Is the sale of pre-packaged grocery items taxed?
  • No, the tax is only on the sale of “prepared” food.

If the food is subject to the lower state sales tax rate, is it subject to the places for eating tax?
  • The state sales tax has a lower rate for food that is not prepared. If an entity is paying the lower sales tax rate for “qualifying food”, the food is not considered prepared, so it would not be subject to the places for eating tax.

Is Westmont the only community with this tax?
  • No, in DuPage County there are at least 11 other communities with a similar tax.  Additionally, some of these communities are Home Rule, which allows additional taxing opportunities that are not available to the Village of Westmont.

How much revenue does the Village anticipate receiving from the tax?
  • From a 1.5% tax, the Village anticipates receiving approximately $750,000 annually.

How is the tax expected to help the Village?
  • It is anticipated that the revenue from the tax would help the Village in two ways.
  • The revenue would help offset the operating shortfall which occurred as a result of the loss of home rule revenues. This revenue, along with a few other other changes, will allow the Village to issue approximately $10 million in bonds for infrastructure improvement.