Village of Westmont
Date Issued: Dec. 5, 2016
The Village of Westmont wishes everyone has a joyous and SAFE holiday season! Check out these safety tips to help ensure a wonderful holiday season for everyone.
SMOKE AND CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS
* Make sure smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors have fresh batteries and are properly installed.
* Never leave space heaters unattended.
* Never place space heaters too close to furniture or combustibles.
* Do not use an extension cord to power a space heater.
* Never leave lit candles unattended.
* Never trust small children with lit candles.
* Do not put lit candles under or near Christmas trees.
* Keep fresh Christmas trees moist by watering them at least once a day.
* If Christmas trees display signs of drying out, remove them from the home immediately.
* Needles on fresh trees should be green and hard to pull back from branches. Fresh trees will not lose an excessive amount of needles when shook.
CHRISTMAS LIGHTS AND DECORATIONS
* Check Christmas lights for exposed, frayed wires, or other problems before installing.
* Do not leave Christmas lights lit while away from home.
* Only install Christmas lights per manufacturer’s instructions.
* Be sure to recycling all unwanted holiday lights at our Holiday Light Recycling Collection at 6015 S. Cass.
* Never leave a fireplace, with burning wood, unattended.
* Only burn clean, dry wood in fireplaces.
* Never burn wrapping paper in a fireplace.