Westmont, Illinois – Date Issued: April 11, 2023
In conjunction with services provided by Waste Management, Westmont has a residential compost and yard waste collection program that operates annually from April through mid-December. Compost and yard waste materials can be placed in the same collection container. Following are some of the program details.
COMPOST COLLECTION PROGRAM
- Residents can purchase and utilize their own 32-gallon container with a lid to serve as the receptacle for their composting and/or lawn waste materials. Each resident-provided compost/yard waste container requires (1) yard waste sticker for each pick-up and must not weigh more than 45 lbs.
- Residents may rent a 64-gallon or 96-gallon wheeled organics toter from WM. Rented toters do not require a sticker and can be used for both composting materials and yard waste
- Please contact WM directly regarding the fee for the organics toter
ACCEPTED COMPOST MATERIALS
Following is a list of items that are accepted in the compost collection program:
- Lawn waste
- Fruits & vegetables - includes unpainted holiday pumpkins
- Leftovers/kitchen scraps - includes coffee grounds, tea bags & filters
- Breads, grains, pasta & cereal
- Meat, poultry, seafood - includes shells & bones
- Dairy solids & eggs - includes egg shells; NOTE: liquids are NOT accepted
- Food-soiled paper products - includes paper towels, plates, napkins, egg cartons, pizza boxes
- Newspaper can be used to wrap compostables; NOTE: compostable & biodegradable plastic bags are NOT accepted
Contact Waste Management directly for current information regarding program details and costs. For more information and to sign up for the Compost/Yard Waste Collection Program, contact Waste Management at wm.com or call 1-800-964-8988.