Westmont, Illinois – Date Issued: February 14, 2023
“We’re very excited to be part of this project that shines a spotlight on my father, blues legend Muddy Waters,” said Mercy Morganfield, who is also the executor of the Muddy Waters Estate. “I want to thank the Westmont Special Events organization for once again paying tribute to an important part of our American history and culture. Blues music, which has its roots in the South, continues to influence music and culture well over 100 years after its beginnings. Through the Muddy Warhol Art Contest and Exhibit, we hope to introduce this legacy to a new generation of artists.”
The Westmont Special Events Corporation (WSEC) NFP has created the Muddy Warhol Art Contest & Exhibit to cross promote a new Andy Warhol Exhibit at the College of DuPage, which will debut this spring, as well as highlight the Muddy Waters Blues Exhibit in Westmont. The contest and exhibit will encourage artists to create and submit Warhol-inspired art featuring the image of blues music legend Muddy Waters. Waters lived in Westmont from 1973 until he passed in 1983. Westmont Special Events has created a blues exhibit and annual Muddy Waters Blues Tribute music event to honor the American music icon.
MUDDY WARHOL ART CONTEST
Submission Period: February 14-April 4, 2023
Jury Review & Notification Date: April 10, 2023
Delivery of Art to Exhibit Location: April 15, 2023 - 8-10am
Exhibit Premiere: SPRING - TBD
Exhibit Dates: April 30-September 30, 2023
Pick-up of Art from Exhibit Location: September 30, 2023 - 3-5pm
Exhibit Location: Muddy Waters Blues Exhibit - Westmont Centre, 1 S. Cass, Westmont, Illinois
No Submissions Fee
Prizes & Awards:
- Best In Show
- (4) Honorable Mention Awards - (1) Per Category
- Professional - Has created, shown, or sold artwork
- Amateur - Has never shown or sold artwork
- Teen - 13-19 year olds
- Youth - 12 & younger
Art Submission Details:
- 2D Art - Digital, Paintings, Pencil Drawings, etc.
- 3D Art - Sculptures, Shadow Boxes, etc.
- One photo for 2D Art should be sent with online application
- Three photos for 3D Art should be sent with online application
- Art Must Not Exceed 48”x48”x48”
- Up to 3 total pieces of art can be submitted
- Each submission should have an artist statement to tell the story of how they created their piece
- Additional terms and conditions apply
- Artwork selected for the Muddy Warhol Exhibit will remain on display for the duration of the exhibit through September 10, 2023
- Event organizers will work with artist regarding mounting and exhibition details prior to going on display
- Artist may choose to offer their art for sale - Commissions and service fees will be conveyed prior to the open of the exhibit
“The Westmont Special Events organization embraces the arts and this is another example of our effort to create opportunities for area artists,” said Larry McIntyre, who is coordinating the contest and exhibit. “With our commitment to the Creative Arts Network art classes and art shows, as well as the opportunities for local musicians at events such as Cruisin’ Nights and Taste of Westmont, we hope to encourage people to think of Westmont as a community that supports the arts.”
Additional event details and the exhibit sign-up form can be found on the Westmont Special Events website at westmontevents.com.