Westmont, Illinois -- Date Issued: December 13, 2022
“We had a very successful year with our special electronics and more recycling events,” said Environmental Improvement Committee Chair Bruce Barker. “At our three events this past year, we collected more than 54,000 pounds of electronics and another 4,700 pounds of textiles. I want to thank eWorks, Westmont Public Works, DuPage County, and our Environmental Improvement Committee for bringing these recycling opportunities to Westmont.” Barker added, “To grow on our success from last year, we are now partnering with Flat Can Recycling in addition to eWorks to expand our collection event to include more items.” Following is information regarding next year’s events:
2023 Electronics & More Special Recycling Events
- DATES: January 21, April 15 & September 23
- TIME: 8:00 a.m. - Noon
- LOCATION: Westmont Public Works facility, 155 E. Burlington Avenue
- COLLECTION VENDORS: eWorks and Flat Can Recycling
Following is a list of some of the items that will be collected. Please note that additional items may be added to the collection list as we get closer to the event date. Many items will be collected free of charge; however, some items have a collection fee as noted below. On-site payment, cash or credit, will be accepted.
NOTE - This event is open to all DuPage County citizens. No commercial drop-offs will be permitted.
- TVs & Computer Monitors - There is a fee for TVs and monitors based on the size of the item - cash and credit is accepted by eWorks on the day of the event or visit the eWorks website for online pre-payment - http://recycling.eworksesi.org/
- Electronics - No fee for items such as desktop and laptop computers, mice, keyboards, modems, cable boxes, converter boxes, satellite receivers, telephone and mobile devices, tape players, gaming consoles, power cords and network cables, chargers, VCRs, DVD players, fax machines, scanners and printers, tablets and portable music players).
- Textiles - Drapes, linens, sheets, towels, similar materials
- Clothing & Shoes - Shoes must be tied together
- Books, Magazines, Paper, Cardboard
Flat Can Recycling
- Styrofoam - Used polystyrene foam including post-consumer foam cups and “to-go” containers, egg cartons, ice chests, rinsed meat trays, protective packaging foam (frequently used to protect electronics during shipping), and other foam with the #6 inside the chasing arrows triangle. NOTE: NO packing peanuts or other small pieces of styrofoam.
- Aerosol Can - $1 fee per can
- One-Pound Camping Propane Tanks - $3 per canister
- Household Batteries - $4 per pound
- Infant and Children Car Seats - $20 per seat
- Latex Paints - 50 cents per sample size containers; $2 per quart containers; $20 per 5-gal. containers
Westmont Public Works
- Lightbulbs - Recycled by Westmont Public Works
RECYCLING EVENT DIRECTIONS
The Electronics & More Special Recycling Event will be held at the Westmont Public Works facility, which is located at 155 E. Burlington Avenue. Recycling participants will enter through the east gate near the intersection of East Burlington Avenue and North Wilmette Avenue. Staff and volunteers will assist recycling participants through the process and motorists will have the option of staying in their vehicles. Once recyclable items have been collected, participants will exit the property through the west gate and then return to East Burlington Avenue near Cass Avenue.
For more information, please visit the eWorks website, or the Flat Can Recycling website.