Village of WestmontDate Issued: November 7, 2013
Following the historic flooding event in April 2013, Mayor Gunter and the Village Board approved the creation of an ad hoc committee to address community stormwater management issues. Residents and volunteers met regularly over the next several months to discuss community concerns and development recommendations. On Oct. 24, the Community Stormwater Committee made a presentation to the Village Board, which included recommendations to the Village Board for consideration.
“I want to thank all of the residents who stepped forward to be part of the solution regarding this very important issue,” says Mayor Ron Gunter. “Their hard work was very evident in the presentation. Now the Village Board will review the recommendations in depth and begin a public dialogue to consider our next steps.”
The Stormwater Committee presentation addressed a variety of topics related to area flooding concerns including green stormwater management initiatives, hiring additional stormwater management personnel, and developing a Stormwater Utility. A total of seven recommendations were presented and are outlined below.
COMMUNITY STORMWATER COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS
* Develop and implement a Community Stormwater Utility for the purpose of creating a dedicated revenue stream to address stormwater improvement and maintenance needs
* Develop and adopt a policy that ensures the Village will conduct annual inspections of the Village’s complete stormwater-related infrastructure
* Develop and adopt a policy to employ dedicated personnel to community stormwater management and maintenance
* Develop and adopt new code and ordinances related to applying FEMA construction rules to low depressional properties with more than 3 acres of off-site tributary
* Develop and adopt new code that requires 2 or 3-foot freeboard between the lowest elevation and the base flood elevation for any new building
* Create and approve a resolution to be sent to the County Board in regard to the Village’s position pertaining to the development of a County Stormwater Utility
* Give direction to continue the ad hoc Community Stormwater Committee so that they can work with staff to further develop and implement stormwater initiatives
The meeting was recorded and can be viewed online by going to the Village Website at westmont.illinois.gov, clicking on the YouTube icon at the bottom of the page and then searching "2013-10-24 Westmont Village Special Board Meeting."
“At this time, there is a lot for us to consider and develop,” says Public Works Director Steve May. “Staff is currently reviewing these recommendations and will move swiftly to get actionable items before the Village Board for final approval.”
The Village Board will review these recommendations at the Nov. 14, 2014 meeting and give direction regarding next steps for development. Below is a link to a document listing the Stormwater Committee's recommendations.
For more information, please contact Westmont Communications Director Larry McIntyre at Lmcintyre@westmont.il.gov or 630-981-6245.