Village of WestmontDate Issued: Oct. 11, 2013Updated: Oct. 16, 2013
Westmont First is a new committee in the Village of Westmont with the simple goal of making sure that residents and businesses think Westmont First for all they do. “This is a simple idea, but it can be very effective,” says Committee Chair Bruce Barker. “If we remember to keep Westmont First with regard to volunteering, supporting our businesses, and just working as a community, then we will be very successful.”
Westmont First is working with other community organizations to promote a plan for encouraging the community to remember to come and shop downtown Westmont during the week-long railroad tracks reconstruction starting on Oct. 17. While vehicle traffic will not be able to cross the tracks during the construction, the pedestrian crossing near the train station will remain open. Weather permitting, the construction is expected to be completed by Oct. 25.
“We wanted to be creative with our promotion, so we decided to coordinate a pre-Halloween event that will lead up to the annual Trick or Treat Trail on Saturday, Oct. 26,” says Al Kohout, owner of AlKaye Media, 38 N. Cass. “Businesses have been encouraged to participate by promoting a special offer that will coincide with the railroad reconstruction so that residents and guests have an extra reason to come downtown and shop.”
The name of the promotion is “Don’t Be Afraid To Shop Downtown Westmont”. Shane Johnson, one of the owners of Sweet & Savory Restaurant at 31 N. Cass, has decided to host an Octoberfest event as part of the promotion. “We were discussing ways to get involved and participate in this opportunity, and we agreed that having an Octoberfest would be a lot of fun for us and hopefully bring people to our place. We’re partnering with various businesses including the Urban Legend Brewery. We want to thank Westmont First for being creative and proactive in making something negative like the railroad crossing reconstruction into something fun and positive.”
Following is a list of businesses participating in the event and their associated specials. All special offers will expire after Oct. 26.
* UNCLE JON’S MUSIC - 33 N. Cass Avenue - Uncle Jon’s Music is offering $10.00 off any purchase of $50 or more. In stock merchandise only. Not valid towards rentals, repairs, or lessons.
* THE CENTER FOR DANCE - 226 N. Cass Avenue - The Center for Dance is offering a "Bewitching" offer for new students! Register for classes before November 30th and receive a 20% discount on your first session tuition.
* BREWED AWAKENING - 19 W. Quincy Street - Purchase a grande coffee and get the second one for half price.
* ALKAYE MEDIA - 38 N. Cass Avenue - 20% off video to DVD (VHS, Beta, DV, 8mm)
* K.H. RENOVATIONS - 205 N. Cass Avenue - K.H. Renovations invites area children to join our Halloween Coloring Contest! Just stop by our showroom between October 17th and 24th for a contest coloring sheet. Participant's artwork will be on display to the public and prizes will be awarded! ALSO, $100 off coupon for any project over $750 total during this time.
* THE FRAMEMAKERS - 10 N. Cass Avenue - 20% off custom framing, additional 10% off if item is Halloween related!
* THE SWEET & SAVORY SPOT - 31 N. Cass Avenue - Free sugar cookies (gluten free and regular) with purchase of $10 entree!
* THE SWEET & SAVORY SPOT - 31 N. Cass Avenue - Octoberfest event on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2-9pm on location in their parking lot - music, food and fun.
* WESTMONT CHAMBER OF COMMERCE & TOURISM BUREAU - One S. Cass Avenue - Free Westmont Community Maps.
* WESTMONT SPECIAL EVENTS CORPORATION - One S. Cass Avenue - Free Muddy Waters Museum Tours Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* LA PETITE SWEET - 15 S. Cass Avenue - Free small regular brewed coffee with purchase of 8 oz. package of gluten free cookies.
* DILWORTH WINDOWS & DOORS - 223 N. Cass Avenue - $800 rebate for the purchase of 14 or more windows, $400 rebate for the purchase of 8-13 windows, $300 off on doors.
And of course, the annual Trick or Treat Trail will be held on Saturday, Oct. 26 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in downtown Westmont. Participating businesses will be handing out goodies, treats and coupons to all of our costumed guests.
For more information regarding these events, please visit the Westmont First website page at www.WestmontFirst.com or contact Larry McIntyre at email@example.com or 630-981-6245.
Contact:Larry McIntyreVillage of Westmont Communications Directorlmcintyre@westmont.il.gov630-981-6245