- Business Office
- Recycling & Waste Hauling
Recycling and Garbage Collection
his webpage is intended to provide helpful information regarding the various programs that are provided by Waste Management for the Village of Westmont. These programs include recycling & garbage pickup, brush pickup, yard waste collection, composting opportunities, and more. For additional information or to confirm most up-to-date information, please visit the Waste Management Westmont webpage or call 1-800-964-8988.
Residential Recycling & Garbage Collection
The Village of Westmont contracts with Waste Management (WM) to provide a comprehensive solid waste collection program for single-family homes in Westmont. The fee for this service, which includes regular recycling and garbage collection, seasonal brush pickup, as well as annually-scheduled special pickup programs for leaves and holiday trees, is included on the bi-monthly water bill.
Pickup Zones and Calendar
There are four Waste Management pickup zones in Westmont. Each zone has its own pickup day. Single-family homes in residential areas are picked up on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Wednesdays are reserved for commercial/business pickups. Garbage is picked up weekly, while recycling is picked up every other week. For detailed information regarding collection dates, please view the Interactive Garbage & Recycling GIS Map.
Recycling & Waste Pickup Information
Each single-family home in Westmont has a WM garbage container (green toter with a green lid) and a WM recycling container (green toter with a YELLOW lid).
Residents should place their items out for pickup by 6:00 a.m. on the morning of their collection day. Please note, recycling is picked up every other week. Please refer to the Interactive Garbage & Recycling GIS Map regarding your week for recycling collection.
Waste Management has three separate collection vehicles for garbage, recycling, and yard waste/brush. Yard waste and brush pickup programs typically run from the first full week in April through the last full week of November. Please contact Waste Management directly for up-to-date information regarding the start and end dates for seasonal programs.
Weekly Large Trash Pickup
Residents may put out one large trash item per week for pickup for no additional charge. Additional large trash items would require a garage sticker. Following is a list of items that are and are not accepted:
ACCEPTED LARGE TRASH ITEMS:
- Furniture - sofas, chairs, tables, etc.
- Mattresses, box springs (both must be in mattress bag or wrapped in plastic) & bed frames
- Other Items - Sleeper sofas (must be tied closed), Rolls of carpet/padding (must be 4' x 2' and taped or tied)
- Automotive Parts & Tires
- Construction Materials
- Items Containing Hazardous Materials/Toxic Products
Rates for Recycling, Garbage & Yard Waste Collection
Effective May 1, 2022 - Note: Annually scheduled rate increases typically take effect in May
The Village of Westmont bills every other month for water and recycling/garbage service. The various rates for recycling/garbage service are as follows:
- Residential bi-monthly rate: $32.64
- Senior (65 & over) residential bi-monthly rate: $24.50
- Garbage stickers (Red): $2.03 per sticker
- Yard Waste stickers (Green): $3.60 per sticker
Accepted Recyclable Materials
When it comes to recycling, one wrong item in the recycling bin can spoil an entire batch of otherwise good materials. Changing expectations for recycling worldwide have made it even more important that guidelines for acceptable recycling materials be followed.
To ensure that quality material is recycled, please make sure your recyclable materials are free of debris and follow these guidelines provided by Waste Management for your curbside recycling:
- Metal Cans
- Plastic Bottles & Containers
- Paper Cardboard, Dairy and Juice Containers
- Flattened Cardboard and Paperboard
- Glass Bottles and Jars
Not Accepted Materials
- Plastic bags and film (may be recycled at Jewel & Mariano's)
- Food waste
- Styrofoam containers and cups
- Hazardous waste
- Medical waste
- Do not bag your recyclables - place items directly in your recycling tote
- Paper and cardboard must be dry and free of food debris
- Tissues, paper towels or other paper that has been in contact with food are NOT acceptable
- Remove food and caps from cans and plastic - make sure all containers are empty
The Waste Management website provides a list of resources to promote successful recycling. WM has also compiled a Recycling 101 webpage with helpful recycling information.
Garbage Sticker & Yard Waste Stickers
Garbage and yard waste stickers may be purchased at the following locations:
- Village Hall - 31 W. Quincy Street
- Bales Ace Hardware - 20 E. Quincy Street
- Jewel-Osco - Cass and Ogden, 55th and Holmes
- Mariano's - 150 W. 63rd Street
Senior Citizen Garbage Discount
Seniors age 65 or older may qualify to receive a 25% discount, offered by Waste Management, on their owner-occupied, single-family residence garbage/recycling bill. Eligible residents must fill out and send in the Senior Citizen Residents Garbage Discount Application Form and meet the following criteria: proof of ownership of property, age 65 or older, currently resides at the address requesting the discount. For additional information regarding this program, contact the Village of Westmont Business Office at 630-981-6220.
Holiday Pickup Schedule
During the year, there are typically six holidays on which recycling, garbage and yard waste are not collected. Pickup will occur one day later for the remainder of the week at these times.
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- New Year’s Day
Brush Pickup Program
- The Brush Pickup Program typically begins in April and ends in December.
- The brush pickup program does NOT require a sticker.
- Brush should be placed alongside your refuse on your usual garbage pickup day.
- Brush that is acceptable for pickup includes smaller twigs, branches and tree limbs that are no more than 4 feet long and no wider than 4 inches in diameter.
- Brush must be tied with natural twine or string into bundles prior to being placed out for pickup.
- Bundles must be no more than 4 feet long and 1 1/2 feet in diameter.
- Each bundle of brush must weigh less than fifty (50) pounds.
- Brush pickup requirements must be followed or items will not be picked up and be subject to a fine.
- Per Village ordinance, open burning of brush and leaves is not allowed.
Yard Waste Pickup Program
- The Yard Waste Pickup Program typically begins in April and ends in December.
- Each bag of yard waste requires a Westmont Yard Waste Sticker.
- Each bag or container of yard waste must weigh less than fifty (50) pounds.
- Yard Waste Stickers can be purchased at the Village Hall, 31 W. Quincy Street during regular business hours.
- Yard waste should be placed out with your refuse on your usual garbage pickup day.
- Yard waste must be placed in appropriate yard waste bags or appropriate containers (no larger than 32 gallon) clearly marked yard waste.
- Items that are acceptable for the yard waste program include grass clippings, plants, cut flowers, weeds, leaves, smaller branches and bushes, and other organic matter that grows outside.
- Items that are not acceptable for the yard waste program include rocks, dirt, soil, sod, mulch, holiday wreaths, pumpkins, apples, hay or straw bales, corn stalks, as well as trees, stumps, and branches larger than two (2) inches in diameter cannot be collected as yard waste. Residents may use a landscape service for such items.
- In the months of April and November (during specific dates specified by Waste Management), Waste Management schedules a one-week free leaf pickup that allows residents to put out an unlimited number of kraft paper bags of LEAVES only without a sticker. Residents can confirm the dates of the special collection with Waste Management.
- Residents can sign up for this program through Waste Management's Westmont webpage or call 800-964-8988.
- Residents can purchase and utilize their own 32-gallon container with a lid to serve as the receptacle for their lawn waste and/or accepted composting materials. Each resident-provided compost/yard waste container requires (1) yard waste sticker for each pickup and must not weigh more than 45 lbs.
- Residents may rent a 64-gallon or 96-gallon wheeled organics toter from WM. Rented toters do not require a sticker and can be used for yard waste and accepted composting materials. Please check with Waste Management to confirm current pricing.
- Residents may also put accepted compost materials in with their yard waste into yard waste bags and containers. Each of these bags or containers require a yard waste sticker for pickup.
ACCEPTED COMPOST MATERIALS
- Lawn waste
- Fruits & vegetables - includes unpainted holiday pumpkins
- Leftovers/kitchen scraps - includes coffee grounds, tea bags and filters
- Breads, grains, pasta & cereal
- Meat, poultry, seafood - includes shells & bones
- Dairy solids & eggs - includes egg shells; liquids are NOT accepted
- Food-soiled paper products - includes paper towels, plates, napkins, egg cartons, pizza boxes
- Newspaper can be used to wrap compostables - compostable & biodegradable plastic bags are NOT accepted
For more information and to sign up for this program, visit Waste Management's Westmont webpage
or call 1-800-964-8988.
Additional Recycling & Waste Disposal Programs & Resources
SCARCE (School and Community Assistance for Recycling and Composting Education) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing education and resources regarding the importance of our environment and promoting specific programs that assist with this mission. The SCARCE.ORG website is a valuable resource that lists information regarding numerous recycling opportunities throughout the area.
State law prohibits consumers from throwing out certain electronics with ordinary trash and has also prohibited landfills from accepting these items. Prohibited items include computers and computer components (terminals, keyboards, monitors, etc.), video game consoles, televisions, CD/DVD/VCR players, and printers. The Village of Westmont waste hauling and recycling program does NOT allow for the collection/disposal of electronics and/or items that contain harmful materials. For a list of electronics recycling options, please visit the SCARCE.ORG webpage that features electronics recycling opportunities.
Plastic Bag and Film Recycling
Your local Jewel/Osco and Mariano's offers a plastic bag and film recycling program. Next time you are heading to your local store, bring a few plastic bags that you’ve brought home before, from any retailer, and place them in the plastic bag recycling bin at the entrance of the store. For more information, visit the Jewel-Osco website.
What kinds of bags can be recycled?
- Plastic grocery bags (from any retailer)
- Dry cleaning bags
- Produce bags
- Trash can liners
- Bread bags
Smoke Detector Recycling
Read information on how to recycle a smoke detector (PDF)
Styrofoam Recycling Options
The Green Team of the First Congregational Church of Western Springs provides a monthly drop-off service that accepts clean styrofoam. For more information, visit Western Springs Recycling.
Latex Paint Recycling Locations
Several local Ace Hardware stores have partnered with Epaint to provide collection of latex and oil-based paints for a fee. The closest location is Kin-ko Ace, 6216 Main Street, Downers Grove, 630-968-4355. Both latex and oil based paints are accepted. Please contact Kin-Ko Ace regarding paint recycling fees.
Visit the Epaint website for additional locations.
You may dispose of your empty, dried out latex paint cans with your weekly trash. Add kitty litter or sawdust to the can first, let solidify and then place in trash. For more information on how to dispose of latex paint visit DuPage Recycling.
Cooking Oil Recycling
You can recycle your used cooking oil into biodiesel. Simply save your vegetable cooking oil in a container and bring it to a cooking oil recycling location or special event. Locations accept liquid, vegetable-based cooking oil only – no animal fats (i.e., those solid at room temperature). Area locations include:
Downers Grove Sanitary Treatment Center
2710 Curtiss Street, Downers Grove
Monday through Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm
Greene Valley Treatment Plant
7900 S. Route 53, Woodridge
For a list of all of the locations visit SCARCE.
Holiday Lights Recycling
Each holiday season, the Village of Westmont teams with Elgin Recycling Co. to provide a holiday lights recycling collection in the Village of Westmont. Collection containers are typically placed at the Frank Johanik Fire Station Headquarters, 6015 S. Cass and the Westmont Library, 428 N. Cass Avenue The drop-off program is self-service. Typically, the Holiday Lights Collection starts in November and continues through the end of January. For more information regarding this program, please contact Elgin Recycling at Elgin Recycling or 847-741-4100.
Christmas Tree Recycling
Per the Village contract with Waste Management, Christmas Trees are picked up in Westmont during the first two full weeks of the new year. All trees picked up during this timeframe will be recycled. Trees should be put out with your other waste on your typical trash pickup day. To be picked up and recycled, Christmas Trees MUST be free of decorations, tinsel, and lights. Also, Christmas Trees should NOT be placed in garbage or waste bags of any sort. Trees taller than 6 feet should be cut in half for easier disposal. Trees put out after the first two full weeks of the year will be considered garbage and may be subject to a fine. For more information, please contact Waste Management at Waste Management website or 800-964-8988.
There is a Sharps Kiosk in the lobby of the Westmont Police Department, 500 N. Cass Avenue. Residents have access to the kiosk during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 4 pm, to safely drop off unwanted or used needles. Needles should be put in the proper receptacles, located at the Police Department before being placed in the kiosk.
RxBox - Prescription Disposal
The Westmont Fire and Police Departments are partnering with the DuPage County Health Department to provide a prescription drug drop box in the lobby of the Police-Fire facility located at 500 N. Cass Avenue. Residents will have access to the RxBOX during regular Police Department office hours when the lobby is open, Monday thru Friday from 8am-4pm. RxBOX is a convenient and accessible way for citizens to dispose of unwanted medications that might otherwise be misused or end up in our waterways or landfills.
- Bring household medication including over-the-counter, prescription medications, inhalers, ointments and liquid medications that are expired or no longer wanted.
- All medications must be contained in a zip-seal type bag prior to disposal.
- If you plan to recycle the original container/packaging, remove any personal information on the label to reduce concerns about personal identification information.
- Deposit your medications in the white collection container marked "RxBOX". Do not dispose of medication in the green collection container for “sharps.”
Items Not Accepted
The following items are NOT accepted in the RxBOX:
- NO household chemical waste
- NO medical waste
- NO radioactive medicines
NON-sharps, needles, or epinephrine pens are not accepted in the RxBOX, however, there is a Sharps Disposal Kiosk in the Police-Fire facility lobby at 500 N. Cass Avenue. Check out our Police Department FAQ for more information regarding sharps disposal: https://westmont.illinois.gov/504/FAQs
View RxBOX Locations in DuPage County.
RxBOX Locations and Details.
For additional information, contact the Westmont Police Department at 630-981-6300.
Additional Recycling Resources
Additional recycling information and resources can be found on the DuPage County Recycling Website.