Recycling and Garbage Collection
Residential Recycling & Garbage Collection Program
The Village of Westmont provides a comprehensive solid waste collection program. The Village contracts these services through Waste Management, 800-964-8988. The fees for Recycling, Garbage and Yard Waste collection are on the bi-monthly Water Bill. Every household in Westmont must be charged for Recycling, Garbage and Yard Waste collection.
Three Waste Management vehicles collect materials on each pick up day. One truck picks up garbage, another picks up recyclables and a third truck picks up yard waste (First full week of April to end of November).
Pickups are made once per week in each quadrant of the Village. Wednesdays are reserved for commercial/business pickups. View the pick up schedule (PDF).
Every week residents are to use the 96 gallon (all green in color) refuse container provided by Waste Management.
In addition, residents may put one large item out for disposal (under 50 pounds and no electronics). Any additional refuse requires a red garbage sticker for removal by Waste Management. Access Waste Management’s website for additional questions, bulk pick ups, etc.
Residents should place their garbage, recyclables (container green and yellow in color) and yard waste out next to each other 3 feet apart for pickup by 6:00 am the morning of or evening before their collection day. Please note, recycling is picked up every other week. View the schedule for Recycling and Garbage Collection (PDF).
Rates for Recycling, Garbage & Yard Waste Collection
Effective May 1, 2021
The Village of Westmont bills every other month for Recycling, Garbage and Yard Waste collection. Charges are included on residents’ water bill.
- Residential bi-monthly rate: $31.38
- Senior (65 & over) residential bi-monthly rate: $23.56
- Garbage stickers (Red): $1.95 per sticker
- Yard Waste stickers (Green): $3.46 per sticker
Acceptable Recycling Materials
When it comes to recycling, one wrong item in the recycling bin can spoil an entire batch of otherwise good materials. Changing expectations for recycling worldwide have made it even more important that guidelines for acceptable recycling materials be followed. To ensure that quality material is recycled, follow these guidelines provided by Waste Management for your curbside recycling:
- Metal Cans
- Plastic Bottles & Containers
- Paper Cardboard, Dairy and Juice Containers
- Flattened Cardboard and Paperboard
- Glass Bottles and Jars
Not Acceptable materials
- Plastic bags and film (may be recycled at Jewel stores)
- Food waste
- Styrofoam containers and cups
- Hazardous waste
- Medical waste
- Do not bag your recyclables - place items directly in your recycling tote
- Paper and cardboard must be dry and free of food debris
- Tissues, paper towels or other paper that has been in contact with food is NOT acceptable
- Remove food and caps from cans and plastic and make sure all containers are empty
Garbage Sticker & Yard Waste Sticker Purchase Locations
Garbage and Yard Waste stickers may be purchased at:
- Village Hall - 31 W. Quincy Street
- Bales Ace Hardware - 20 E. Quincy Street
- Jewel-Osco - Cass and Ogden, 55th and Holmes
- Mariano's - 150 W. 63rd Street
Senior Citizen Garbage Discount
Seniors age 65 or older may receive a 25% discount, offered by Waste Management, on their owner occupied single family residence garbage bill by filling out the Senior Citizen Application Form, providing proof that they are the owner of the property and that they are at least 65 years old. You must actually reside in the house to receive the discount. Garbage collection questions should be directed to the Village Clerk’s Office at 630-981-6220 or Waste Management, Inc. at 800-964-8988.
Holiday Pickup Schedule
During the year, there are six holidays on which recycling, garbage and yard waste are not collected. Pickup will occur one day later for the remainder of the week at these times.
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- New Year’s Day
Brush Pickup Program
- The brush pick-up program does NOT require a sticker.
- Brush should be placed alongside your refuse on your usual garbage pickup day.
- Brush that is acceptable for pick-up includes smaller twigs, branches and tree limbs that are no more than 4 feet long and no wider than 4 inches in diameter.
- Brush must be tied with natural twine or string into bundles prior to being placed out for pick-up.
- Bundles must be no more than 4 feet long and 1 1/2 feet in diameter.
- Each bundle of brush must weigh less than fifty (50) pounds.
- Brush pick-up requirements must be followed or items will not be picked up and be subject to a fine.
- Per Village ordinance, open burning of brush and leaves is not allowed.
Yard Waste Pickup Program
- Each bag of yard waste requires a Westmont Yard Waste Sticker.
- Yard waste should be placed out with your refuse on your usual garbage pickup day.
- Yard waste must be placed in appropriate yard waste bags or appropriate containers (no larger than 32 gallon) clearly marked yard waste.
- Items that are acceptable for the yard waste program include grass clippings, plants, cut flowers, weeds, leaves, smaller branches and bushes, and other organic matter that grows outside.
- Items that are not acceptable for the yard waste program include rocks, dirt, soil, sod, mulch, holiday wreaths, pumpkins, apples, hay or straw bales, corn stalks, as well as trees, stumps, and branches larger than two (2) inches in diameter cannot be collected as yard waste. Residents may use a landscape service for such items.
- In the month of November residents can put out an unlimited number of kraft paper bags of LEAVES only without a sticker.
ACCEPTED COMPOST MATERIALS
Additional Recycling & Waste Disposal Programs & Resources
SCARCE (School and Community Assistance for Recycling and Composting Education) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing education and resources regarding the importance of our environment and promoting specific programs that assist with this mission. The SCARCE.ORG website is a valuable resource that lists information regarding numerous recycling opportunities throughout the area.
State law prohibits consumers from throwing out certain electronics with ordinary trash and has also prohibited landfills from accepting these items. Prohibited items include computers and computer components (terminals, keyboards, monitors, etc.), video game consoles, televisions, CD/DVD/VCR players, and printers. The Village of Westmont waste hauling and recycling program does NOT allow for the collection/disposal of electronics and/or items that contain harmful materials. For a list of electronics recycling options, please visit the SCARCE.ORG webpage that features electronics recycling opportunities.
Plastic Bag and Film Recycling
Your local Jewel/Osco offers a plastic bag and film recycling program. Next time you are heading to your local store, bring a few plastic bags that you’ve brought home before, from any retailer, and place them in the plastic bag recycling bin at the entrance of the store. For more information, visit Jewelosco.
What kinds of bags can be recycled?
- Plastic grocery bags (from any retailer)
- Dry cleaning bags
- Produce bags
- Trash can liners
- Bread bags
Smoke Detector Recycling
Read information on how to recycle a smoke detector (PDF)
Styrofoam Recycling Options
The Green Team of the First Congregational Church of Western Springs provides a monthly drop-off service that accepts clean styrofoam. For more information, visit Western Springs Recycling.
Latex Paint Recycling Locations
Several local Ace Hardware stores have partnered with Epaint to provide collection of latex and oil-based paints for a fee. The closest location is Kin-ko Ace, 6216 Main Street, Downers Grove, 630-968-4355. Both latex and oil based paints are accepted. Prices for latex paints are $4.50 per gallon, $2.25 per quart and $13.75 per 5 gallons. Prices for oil paints are $12 per gallon and $6/quart $25 for 5 gallons
Visit the Epaint website for additional locations.
You may dispose of your empty, dried out latex paint cans with your weekly trash. Add kitty litter or sawdust to the can first, let solidify and then place in trash.
For more information on how to dispose of latex paint visit DuPage Recycling.
Cooking Oil Recycling
You can recycle your used cooking oil into biodiesel. Simply save your vegetable cooking oil in a container and bring it to a cooking oil recycling location or special event. Locations accept liquid, vegetable-based cooking oil only – no animal fats (i.e., those solid at room temperature). Area locations include:
Downers Grove Sanitary Treatment Center
2710 Curtiss Street, Downers Grove
Monday through Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm
Greene Valley Treatment Plant
7900 S. Route 53, Woodridge
For a list of all of the locations visit SCARCE.
Holiday Lights Recycling
Each holiday season, the Village of Westmont teams with Elgin Recycling Co. to provide a holiday lights recycling collection in the Village of Westmont. Collection containers are typically placed at the Frank Johanik Fire Station Headquarters, 6015 S. Cass and the Westmont Library, 428 N. Cass Avenue The drop-off program is self-service. Look for the Holiday Lights Collection to start about mid-November and continue through the end of January 2019. For more information regarding this program, please contact Elgin Recycling at Elgin Recycling or 847-741-4100.
Christmas Tree Recycling
Per the Village contract with Waste Management, Christmas Trees are picked up in Westmont during the first two full weeks of the new year. All trees picked up during this timeframe will be recycled. Trees should be put out with your other waste on your typical trash pickup day. To be picked up and recycled, Christmas Trees MUST be free of decorations, tinsel, and lights. Also, Christmas Trees should NOT be placed in garbage or waste bags of any sort. Trees taller than 6 feet should be cut in half for easier disposal. Trees put out after the first two full weeks of the year will be considered garbage and may be subject to a fine. For more information, please contact Waste Management at Waste Management website or 800-964-8988.
There is a Sharps Kiosk in the lobby of the Westmont Police Department, 500 N. Cass Avenue. Residents have access to the kiosk during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 4 pm, to safely drop off unwanted or used needles. Needles should be put in the proper receptacles, located at the Police Department before being placed in the kiosk.
RxBox - Prescription Disposal
The Westmont Fire and Police Departments are partnering with the DuPage County Health Department to provide a prescription drug drop box in the lobby of the Police-Fire facility located at 500 N. Cass Avenue. Residents will have access to the RxBOX during regular Police Department office hours when the lobby is open, Monday thru Friday from 8am-4pm. RxBOX is a convenient and accessible way for citizens to dispose of unwanted medications that might otherwise be misused or end up in our waterways or landfills.
Additional Recycling Resources
Additional recycling information and resources can be found on the DuPage County Recycling Website.