The Village of Westmont Community Development Department works with property owners, businesses owners, and developers who are interested in creating a successful partnership with our growing community. Westmont has several business districts, each designed to meet the needs of a wide variety of businesses.
The Community Development Department operates the following divisions:
- Planning and Zoning Division – administers the municipal development approval process and site plan review, regulates permitted and special uses in the various zoning districts, serves as liaison to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Permitting (Building) Division – issues permits for building, engineering, plumbing, electrical and more, reviews and approves construction plans, performs building and construction inspections, administers bond requirements and the contractor registration program.
- Code Enforcement Division – enforces Village code and property maintenance requirements.
The Village of Westmont has adopted the following codes with local amendments, by reference: 2012 International Building Code
2012 International Residential Code
2012 International Fire Code
2012 Life Safety Code, NFPA 101 (National Fire Protection Association) 2012 International Mechanical Code
2012 International Fuel Gas Code
2012 International Existing Building Code
2012 International Property Maintenance Code
2012 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
2015 International Energy Conservation Code
2011 National Electric Code
2014 Illinois State Plumbing Code
As necessary and applicable, Builders and Developers should also comply with the following State of Illinois Codes:
2018 Illinois Accessibility Code
2018 Illinois Energy Conservation Code
Many home and business (commercial) renovation and remodeling projects require a permit before work begins - contact us if you have questions as to whether or not your project requires a permit. Projects that require Building Permits include, but are not limited to the following:
- additions (including covered porches)
- antennas (commercial)
- decks and pergolas
- electrical (and services/upgrades)
- fences (if installed, repaired/replaced more than 8 linear feet)
- flat work: asphalt, concrete and pavers (driveways, patios, walks, etc.)
- HVAC and other mechanicals (heating, ventilation and air conditioning)
- landscaping that affects drainage and flood ways
- masonry replacement/repair
- new accessory buildings and structures
- new principal buildings and structures
- pergolas and porches
- remodeling, renovations, or repairs
- roofing (repairs and tear offs)
- water heaters
- windows and exterior doors
Permit Applications and Specification Guidelines
Visit the Document Center to access or print out copies of required submittal documents such as:
- General Permit Application (required with every construction/installation project - along with pertinent Specifications Sheets below)
- Deck Specifications
- Electric Car Charger Specifications
- Fence Specifications
- Flatwork (Driveways, Patios, Walkways) Specifications
- Hen Coop Specifications
- Parking Lot Specifications
- Pool and Spa Specifications
- Roof Specifications
- Shed Specifications
- Sign Specifications
- Solar (Panel Array) Specifications
- Tent Permit
DuPage County Pinfinder-Parcel Viewer
Utilize the links to the left to directly access specific areas of interest.
For information on Economic Development please select the specific Chamber and Economic Development links or pages in the drop downs above or links to the left.
The Village of Westmont is strongly supportive of new and creative development ideas. Business owner and developer inquiries are always welcome.
Please contact the Community Development Department at 630-981-6250 for more information or to schedule a meeting to discuss your development ideas.